Effective governance is crucial to the success of schools and academy trusts. The Governance Handbook sets out the key elements of effective governance as:
- Strategic leadership that sets and champions vision, ethos and strategy;
- Accountability that drives up educational standards and financial performance, and effectively manages risk;
- People with the right skills, experience, qualities and capacity;
- Structures which reinforce clearly defined roles and responsibilities;
- Compliance with statutory and contractual requirements; and
- Evaluation to monitor and improve the quality and impact of governance.