We teach history in order for all children to have:
- a secure knowledge and understanding of the past both local, national and worldwide;
- the skills and language to be able to make observations, make connections, comparisons, ask questions and evaluate to draw conclusions from what they see, learn and understand.
Our approach involves:
- A balance of gaining knowledge and understanding with developing enquiry skills
- Maximising the use of first-hand experiences and a range of sources
- Encouraging critical thinking through interpreting and challenging evidence
- Sequencing learning to make connections and understand cause and consequence
- Progressive, systematic building of vocabulary and concepts that links and secures learning over time.
Download an overview of our history curriculum.
Download an overview of the progression in children's knowledge, understanding and skills as they study history in different year groups.